– Where was your mother born? Was your father born there, too?
– My parents were born in Vancouver in 1945.
– Where did you live when you were young? Did you grow up in a big city?
– Actually, I grew up in Seattle. We stayed there until I started high school.
– That's a great baseball shirt, Ling. Are you from Seattle?
– Um, kind of. I lived there, but I wasn't born there.
– Oh, yeah? Where were you born?
– In Sao Paulo, actually.
– Sao Paulo? Brazil?
– Yeah. My parents were born in Hong Kong, but they moved to Sao Paulo just before I was born.